Monday, June 2, 2014

My Sycamore Tree

Kirk Carter@ Chew Bear Productions@ Copyright 2014



My Sycamore Tree



When I was a kid, I liked to climb a certain tree;
In the corner of our backyard, a Sycamore...it was bigger than me!

A hundred feet tall, with tan waxy limbs;
Climb it fast or slow, it really all depends.

Getting to the top I'd look around, swinging wild and free;
Neighbors already knew, just that crazy boy we see!

But, creatures lived up in there, the squirrels, the bees, and the birds:
Watched them make their families, my emotion too much for words.

Big green leaves like clover, every spring would sprout and glean;
Never saw such color, the contrast of which I'd never seen.

But, I'd climb that monster every day;
It was my high, what can I say.

And yet, a two-thousand mile journey, I tell no lie;
Came from a happily passing Monarch Butterfly.

"What you doin out here, it was last Spring...one like you;
You fly all this way, have your babies...does it give you something to do?"

So, I crawl down exhausted...tired and look above;
God created the Sycamore, just showing me his Love...

I don't climb the tree anymore, when I stopped I can't remember;
Big leaves I see in Spring, bare branches in December.

That tree was fun to climb, holds some great memories for me;
That's a lot to ask for, of that special Sycamore tree.

My special moments, and yes they're all mine;
I wonder if life would have been different, if I just favored a pine?



                                                          Kirk Carter


                                                                                                     June/ 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment