Saturday, May 10, 2014

Memories on Mother's Day



Memories On Mother's Day

Hey Mom...can you hear me?
I'm calling to you...

You passed to the light, hope I'm getting through;
Did you know I moved to L.A.?
So many things to do!

But your up there, I still feel your care;
Your hugs and touch, I miss that share.

Just wanted to say how much I miss you;
Looking down from above...

Happy Mother's Day, Kat and Me send our Love!

                                               Kirk


I was born in Baptist Hospital in August 1936. Attended L.S. Rugg Grammar School and graduated Bolton High School in 1954. My Dad worked at Paramount movie theater, Saenger Movie Theater (which sat between Schwartzberg's and Paramount Theater, across from Kresses and Lerner's. He later worked at the Don Theater.

Rapides Parish Courthouse, Alexandria, Louisiana
He was an elected Police Juror at the time the new Court House was built and his name is inscribed on the original plaque.

My Mother was Ethel Welch Flowers now deceased. She worked for many years at Modern Appliance Mart located on Third Street a block down from Hotel Bentley and Weiss & Goldrings.

Thank you so much for bringing back so many fond memories of my home town. I left Alexandria after marriage and moved to Florida, back to Alexandria where my daughter was born at St. Francis Cabrini Hospital. Moved to New Orleans in 1970. I met my husband when he was stationed at England Air Force Base. He later worked for Texas & Pacific Railroad which was merged with Missouri Pacific which was then merged with Union Pacific. After my husband's death, I moved to Las Vegas, NV in 1987 and after I retired moved to Henderson, NV in 2002.

I am going to look through a lot of old photos that I have somewhere in a box and if I find anything of significance I will be sure to submit them to you. I will be returning to Alexandria the end of April for my 50th High School Reunion and look forward to the visit.

Like a lot of other people, Alexandria will always be home to me no matter where I roam.

Bette June (Flowers) Carter
January 11, 2004

1 comment:

  1. Love this Kirk! This must be a letter Mom wrote? I didn't know Granny worked at the Modern Appliance Mart, or that Grandpa's name was inscribed on the Court House in Alexandria. I do know she really loved attending her 50th HS Reunion. Thanks for sharing.....xo

    ReplyDelete